When Hearing Protection Is Not Safe
Custom made sleeves are a dream of every music lover. For audiophiles few things are more exciting than finding your local dispenser (our Perfect Fit Partner), having your impressions taken, choosing your favourite colour and the anticipation of waiting for your custom sleeves to arrive. This is because the sheer pleasure of listening to music and letting yourself go oblivious of what is going on outside, is not only tempting, but also possible with properly chosen custom sleeves. However, there are some places you would not want to risk wearing them. Sometimes hearing protection can be dangerous.
Karl Langton, the expert on hearing protection and martial art teacher for the past 8 years, shares his insights into how to stay safe in places you should not go alone after dusk, but many will.
- Choose Open Spaces. Try whenever possible to consider your route when walking at night in a dimly lit or solitary area. Always aim to choose a path with an open space or some gateways so in a case of unfavourable events you can escape safely.
- Be Bold! When a stranger is approaching you and there is no room to escape, make eye contact and acknowledge them with a smile or nod of the head. Karl Langton explains: “In the majority of cases when you make an eye contact with a potential attacker they are less likely to go after you. People are like animals. More appealing to attackers once we are old, weak or fearful.”
- Do not listen to the music. As much as you would dream of wearing custom sleeves and listening to music with a superb sound, consider the possibilities of danger when you are visiting a suspicious area. Your concentration and perception of the surroundings is greatly reduced when listening to music with a superb sound, consider the possibilities of danger when you are visiting a suspicious area. Your concentration and perception of the surroundings is greatly reduced when listening to music, therefore making you an easy target.
- Wear only one earphone. If you cannot resist the music, make sure you only have an earphone in one of your ears so you can still listen to the surrounding with another ear. Be vigilant. The majority of attacks take place from the back as the attackers tend to creep in from behind. Use your eyes and ears to stay safe!
- Learn self-defence techniques. For greater confidence just learn self-defence techniques to equip yourself with the necessary skills to walk safely at night.
Although hearing protection and custom ear plugs are vital when you want to listen to a high quality music, make sure that you are in a friendly environment first. As much as you want to take care of your hearing, you also want to keep safe. If you do not have stamina to learn martial arts at least you keep your ears and eyes wide open. Keep the ear plugs for later.